Monday, May 20, 2013

Onions Already?


onions freshly plucked from the ground

In February we planted some onions.  18 each of 10/15 and Granex and then 9 red onions.  We decided to go with transplants for two reasons.  One reason was that onions from seed take much longer and we were excited.  The second reason is that our favorite local garden center had them available.

As a bit of a disclaimer, I'm learning so much of this as I go so each step of everything I'm googling and reading books.  There is a LOT of information out there and, of course, not all of it is good so I try to verify things with a few sources before going with it.  If I publish anything here I find to be wrong I will make a new post to correct myself.

the onion garden with fallen leaves and flower heads


Earlier research would have been helpful but I'm learning now that if you plant onion transplants that are thicker than a pencil they are more likely to bolt early or finish early.  Another factor that can cause early bolting is a late freeze.  The problem with early bolting is that you get small onions.  We had two late freezes and I certainly did plant some of the bigger transplants so we're going to have tiny onions.  Next year I will likely plant a small number of onions just as early with a few sequential plantings after that and I will plant primarily smaller transplants.  I will also be planting a fall crop in late summer so I have some ready super early.

Another project we're doing is seed saving.  Unbelievably, saving seeds from the plants you grow is actually illegal in some countries and some American farmers have been found guilty of such in court.  This just blows my mind.  You can legally only buy your food or buy the plants and seeds each time you need them.  I'm learning to save my seeds from as many kinds of food and beneficial plants as possible and if this does become illegal I guess I'll be a criminal.  I'm just not going to (literally) buy into the GM food monopoly and I don't want to financially contribute to that poison parade.

onions sorted (10/15, red and granex)



These onions were pulled out of the ground 2 days ago, on Saturday.  They've been sitting on top of a shelf on our back patio where it's warm and dry.  This completes stage 1 of drying.  To start the next step I sorted the onions by type.  We have 10/15 from Aggieland, Granex which are supposed to be the best for onion rings (if they get big enough) and some sort of red onions.  I am getting better about labeling and taking notes, I promise.

removing seed head

Before starting the rest of the drying process I removed the flowering seed heads and dropped them into paper bags.  Each type of onion has his own bag which is labeled with the type and today's date.  They will be allowed to dry on a shelf until they are ready to break them open and remove the actual seeds.  At that point the dried seeds will be removed to a labeled and dated paper envelope where they will wait to be planted.

onion seed heads and borage seed heads drying on a shelf in our (non-climate controlled) shed

leaves removed from onions with stumps a few inches long left behind
The next step of the drying process requires most of the leaves to be removed.  Stumps of about 3 inches are left on the onions to keep them from rotting or being invaded by bugs.  The onions were then returned to the outdoor shelf to dry for two more weeks ... except the ones that are going into tonight's dinner.  Honestly I'm wondering if any will survive the two weeks without us eat them.

(You might notice Rufus in a lot more pictures.  My beautiful man has enacted a "if mommy is outside you're outside" rule with him and now he beats me to the door most of the time.  He's a good little guard dog.  The best thing is that he's well trained not to eat food without permission.)

onions returned to shelf to dry some more

onion leaves and mulberry branches in the compost
The leaves from the onions were cut into smaller pieces and thrown into the compost bin along with the mulberry branches my beautiful man pruned off a tree today.  Everything big that goes into the compost bin gets cut down to sizes that will break down faster.  My beautiful man turns the bin every day or two.  A wonderful earthy smell floats up out of it now.  It doesn't smell gross or like decaying food.  We've noticed the butterflies are back feeding from it.  In fact, I was "attacked" by several while cutting up the onion leaves.

After their 2 weeks on the outdoor shelf the onions will be cured for an additional 2 weeks.  I don't remember all the details on that yet but I'll post about it when the time comes.  Sadly, the early smaller onions don't keep as well.  I suppose that fact actually works to my advantage since I don't foresee all of these making it to the curing stage.

compost bin, mulberry tree and our neighbor's flowering plant that calls the butterflies
It feels great to harvest a food that we grew and create no waste in the process.  We eat the food and the scraps all go into the compost.  I will say that I am very fortunate to have a partner who supports me in all my "hippie" ways and helps me with these endeavors.  And I do love seeing him smile when he checks on the plants or eats the food that we grow.

a butterfly friend on the wall of the compost bin

3 comments:

  1. Great job on this post... thinking I better pull my onions up soon. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Enjoy your onions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saving seeds care only restricted for patented strains. Any heirloom plant can be saved. Hybrids and plants with engineered characteristics replanted would be similar to coping software or a book. Stick to heirlooms and you are good to go. Also someone mentioned to me that you can put onions to dry in clean old pantyhose legs tied off between each one. Good job!

    ReplyDelete