Monday, May 13, 2013

Peas Yummy Peas



peas fresh from the garden

Rufus enjoying a pea
My beautiful man, Rufus and I have been enjoying fresh peas from the garden lately.  Well, we've been enjoying them IN the garden lately.  Every day I pluck off a little baby pea for Rufus and he happily gobbles them down.  Barkley always turns his nose up at them so Rufus has been getting his too.  Yesterday I finally went out and harvested all the peas that I deemed big enough to eat.  Sadly, there were only enough for one serving.  Tonight the man and I will make a run to the grocery for some pasta and a few other veggies and we'll cook up something yummy with them.

beautiful man securing trellis
Today we ventured out to check on the gardens and my beautiful man decided it was time to add the extra trellis netting for the peas.  He just taped and tied it onto the pvc frame we use for tarping in the winter.  Then he drove screws into the bed borders and tied off the bottom of the netting to those.  The peas now have trellis on 3 sides.  We're hoping this will prevent overcrowding and keep harvesting easy as the newer plants grow up.  The holes in the netting are big enough to easily reach through.


flowers
While he was working on the netting I noticed that we had a whole bunch of new flowers popping out.  I really don't remember so many flowers and buds being there yesterday.  Perhaps I over looked them but I believe a lot are a result of the plants having extra energy since I pulled the big peas off yesterday (and I got a few more today.)  Harvesting food that is ready allows the plant to dedicate it's energy to new growth.  Once those newer plants come up we should have plenty at each harvest.
3 sided trellis



Notes:  These are two varieties of snap peas. 2 rows of Sugar Snap Peas from Burpee went in the dirt in mid-March.  Those were followed by successive plantings of 2 or 3 rows of Cascadia Snap Peas from High Mowing Organic Seeds on 4/2/13, 4/15/13, and 4/29/13.  All of the peas harvested so far are the Burpee Sugar Snap Peas and I can honestly say that, even raw and sun warmed they are quite delicious.

Other Note:  The whole thing looks so small next to my beautiful man but feels so tall when I'm standing next to it.  I guess that happens when you're a short lady with a tall man.

and now .... random pictures of peas ....

a wolf spider that tried to help
"smile you beautiful man"

happy little pea flower


more new flowers

a teeny plate of peas

 
cluster of flower buds

No comments:

Post a Comment